CONSERVATION OF NATURAL RESOURCES
Conservation is the preservation of natural resources from loss, waste or exploit action through rational use and to ensure their continued availability for man’s use. Natural resources are valuable resources that are provided by nature. e.g forest, soil, water, mineral resources, wild life and air.
Natural resources can be renewable or non-renewable
Renewable natural resources: These are natural resources that are recoverable . Examples are: forest, water ,air and soil.
Non renewable natural resources: These are resources which when exhausted can not be replaced or recovered. Examples are mainly mineral resources like petroleum, coal, copper and tin.
NEED OR REASONS FOR CONSERVATION
- To allow for continued use of natural resources for man benefits.
- To save valuable species of plant and animals for extinction
- To preserve naturally beautiful sceneries for their aesthetic values.
- To prevent the destruction of natural ecosystem
- To promote the recycling of some scares mineral resources e.g water.
- To provide basis for research purpose
METHOD OF CONSERVING WATER
- Trapping or storage of water in tanks or wells
- Damming of rivers to allow for more effective management of water
- Treatment and recycling of used water.
- Saving of water by prompt repair of burst pipes or turning off taps immediately after use.
METHOD OF CONSERVING FOREST
1.Cutting of trees without destroying the undergrowth.
- Reforestation or encouraging the planting of trees
- Prevention of plant pest and diseases
- Define Conservation of Natural resources
- State 5 reasons for preserving natural resources